Monday, November 14, 2011

Refuge In The Lord

Psalm 3


A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.

    O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me!  Many are saying of me, “God will not deliver him.”  - Selah (pause)
    But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.  To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill.  - Selah (pause)    I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.  I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side.  Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked.
    From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people.  -Selah (pause)

 This is the very way that I handle any situation where I feel attacked or wronged. Just as David does in this Psalm.  I first spend a considerable amount of time complaining.  I let my brain re-run the scenario over and over and adding in parts that may or may not be true.  I allow the person or situation that has wronged me echo in my brain that I am not worthy of winning or being victorious.  I allow my brain to consume me and I feel empty, hurt, overwhelmed.

    I finally get around to looking to God for my grace and redemption.  As I begin to trust God to handle it I begin to lift the situation or person to the Lord in prayer. Then I begin to demand God to take care of the situation not for the glory of Him but for me.  It takes me a while to come back to pray and here God's word speak to me again.

    I reflect back at how God has worked in my life and I can see His power in so many situations.  I begin to give the glory to Him and through His grace and His power I feel a belonging and the warm arms of His love wrapped around me again.

    This Psalm is really a lesson in forgiving, trust where my focus should be for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment